Published on July 18th, 2011 | by John

>If I want a high-end gaming rig, how much should I spend? REALLY.

>In this article, I will go over what I feel to be the most power necessary for the next generation of games. (BF3, etc.) Unless you have infinite money, like Alki David (he’s a winner, yeah?) – it’s not worth buying absolutely top of the line. This machine is what I would buy, were I building a machine right now. If you’re looking into PC gaming seriously, and don’t want to sell yourself short in any way, this is the build for you.

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 (149.99)

Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer 1000W (149.99)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XPUD5 (269.99)

Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7 2600k (314.99)

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper212 (49.99) – can find this cheaper on Amazon.

Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 (11.98)

Memory (RAM): 8GB Gskill Ripjaws X (69.99)

Video card (GPU): EVGA GTX 580 (479.99)

Optical Drive: Liteon 24x DVD/CDRW (24.99)

Headset:
Steelseries Siberia V2 (74.99)

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black Edition (49.99)

Keyboard:
Razer Lycosa (79.99)

Alot of people have different ideas on hard drives. I prefer the WD Caviar Black, but other’s will say samsung spinpoint. You can make that decision yourself, as both are great HDDs.
Z68 motherboards: SSD caching. There would be an SSD included in this build, but new tech just came out so it’s best to give it a few months to see people’s reports before making the dive at a 300$ + hard drive. Still worth purchasing z68 now, and splurging on the SSD at a later date when you’re fully aware of the pros and cons of newer/older tech.
With 40 dollars of mail in rebates, this high end machine, including all peripherals needed for gaming (aside from a monitor. Assuming you already have one of those, because you’re reading this website on it.. I hope.) will run you under 2k.

This is the most you should spend on a machine right now.

Myself, and all of the PC enthusiasts here at KBMOD will tell you the same thing. Bash this into your brains if you need to. Never. Never ever ever. EVER buy 2 weaker cards to SLI rather than buying a better single GPU. Single GPU is better. It’s easier. There are far less issues whilst running a single card. Later down the road, you can SLI/crossfire if you need to. You should never build a machine and go SLI/crossfire from the start, unless it’s 2 of the best cards on the market. (ala 2x 590s.) Buy yourself a PSU powerful enough to SLI/crossfire at a later date. Listen to what I say. Or you’ll pay.

Maybe I’ll go lay by the bay. I can make shit out of clay. What do ya say?!

Tags:

33 Responses to >If I want a high-end gaming rig, how much should I spend? REALLY.

1. mrMxyzptlK says:

>depending on my computing needs, i would have switched the intel for an amd and got hydro cooling. everything looks delicious tho

2. Bobby says:

>I say, Hey!

3. Darbyothrill says:

>Whoa on the video card. I just don't think you get a significant boost over the 6970's for $330.

The difference between the 580 GTX and 6970 in that bench mark is not worth $150 in my opinion.

4. essinDEES says:

>Yes, there's a huge difference in performance at a standard resolution when comparing the 580 and the 6970. The GTX 570 outbenches the 6970 in pretty much… every game ever.

5. Darbyothrill says:

>But those bench marks have standard resolutions.

6. Zackcy says:

>A GTX 580 smokes everything. A GTX 560 is slightly better then a 6970.

7. essinDEES says:

>^wrong. 570 is better, a 560 is comperable to the 5870, slightly worse.

8. Anthony says:

>Why the hell do you need 1000W?

Also, unless the person uses apps that utilize hyper threading, they are better off going with the i5 2500k.

Also, don't ya think a 260$ mobo is a bit excessive? Chances are you won't use the extra features it has, compared to some 150$ mobo.

9. Anthony says:

>Also the 570 is better in most games, not all (depending on resolution)

10. Anthony says:

>Also I recommend pcpartpicker.com as it compares it to a few different stores so you can get the lowest prices.

11. essinDEES says:

>Anthony, most you should spend. Sometimes I wonder if people read. I hate the internet so fucking much. 1000w if you need to SLI later down the road. Herp fucking derp.

12. Darbyothrill says:

>1000 Watt you absolutely need. If you want to SLI, you may even want to go higher, depending on the cards. The 1000 W will only put out somewhere around 900W, the processor is 95W at spec, and the graphics card is roughly 300W. If you ever hope to SLI, good luck with anything less.

You also just don't want to fuck around with power stability.

13. Darbyothrill says:

>I will say, if you are going high end, you may as well throw in a Noctua DH-14. The Hyper212 is a great cooler, but the Noctua is just the utter shit.

14. 5ed545b6-b1a0-11e0-8f32-000bcdca4d7a says:

>I'm building a new rig, should I go with the 6950 or the GTX 570 if I'm on a budget of around 900$. Like is the performance increase worth ~100$?

15. Jas Manhas says:

>John, I am currently planning on this rig. What do you think?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 or ASUS Sabertooth P67. Likely the Gigabyte board after this article

CPU: i7 2600K.

GPU: EVGA GTX 590 Classified I was originally thinking about a 6990, but I heard it was way too loud. And there is only a few percent increase in performance.

Hard Drives: OCZ Vertex 3 + Western Digital Caviar Black.

Ram: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB(2x4GB).

PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W.

Cases: Corsair Graphite Series 600T, Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower or a Thermaltake Level 10 GT. Most likely the Level 10 GT

CPU Heatsink: Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 or a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

Drive: Samsung.

16. Darbyothrill says:

>@Jason The Noctua NH-D14 absolutely supports LGA 1155, as I have one in my Sandy Bridge system. So, kthnx?

@Jas Manhas You'll be absolutely happy with that system. I go for Asus personally. The biggest difference between those two boards is the Gigabyte uses the Z68 chipset, which can use the on processor video card and also uses intel SSD caching technology. If you don't need those things, you don't necessarily need Z68.

17. Jason says:

>@Darby Ok….I do apologize that Newegg has a misprint in their description for not supporting 1155.

18. SuperGauntlet says:

>Uh… How about a low-mid range build that will run CoD4, BC2, Source games etc?

Because most people don't want to spend 2000 dollars.

Hypothetically, build one for 500 bucks.(I have a friend that wants to play on PC and he wants a cheap computer. He wants to be able to play LoL, DotA2 when it comes out, TF2, and BF3 when it comes out. He's said that he doesn't need highest graphics on BF3, but a playable FPS)

19. john says:

>You will struggle to run BC2 on a 500 dollar rig. If it fits 1156, it fits 1155 (CPU fan wise.)

20. chad1312 says:

>@SuperGauntlet To get a build somewhere around there you are going to have to OC it to play BF3.

21. Dex says:

>I dont even know where to start. Do you know why the z68 boards are better? Recommending one without an ssd is half-retarded. You guys getting high before writing his stuff?

Telling people to get a kingwin psu… Wtf? Antec, corsair, coolermaster…. Any brand that uses a seasonic is good. All superior to that glowinh abortion that you linked.

The 2600k is an overclocki beast, but id want a watercooled system, especially if im dropping more than 1500 bucks on it.

The omission of a sound card is even sadder, but most people dont realize how nice it still is to have one. At least you picked a nice mobo. =X

22. Darbyothrill says:

>@Dex What would you recommend in regards to sound cards? I was looking into them, not sure what to get. Also, how do you feel about using a sound card when you are just using a headphones system?

23. dominick says:

>i agree with one post in this comment thread, and that is johns post of "I hate the internet so fucking much"

SSD caching on z68 is a joke. Water cooling (custom loops or corsair's systems) is a joke. Sound cards are the biggest joke of them all.

You sir need to get off the internet and join a comedy club

24. DeliriousCookie says:

>As much as i want to suck your dick john, you forgot the hdd.

25. essinDEES says:

>Also Dex – the fact that you even consider watercooling proves to me that you are a retard.

26. essinDEES says:

>Soundcards are worthless pieces of shit.

27. dominick says:

>while i do see the benefits of a single GPU i'm not completely convinced sli/cf from the get go is totally worthless. Two 6850s perform similar to a 580 for ~180 less. Two 6870s completely outbench a 580 for ~100 less.

28. vol1tion says:

>@Dex:

There's nothing wrong with Kingwin. I have this exact PSU in my box, and it's been a champ for over a year so far.

29. Stefan says:

>isn't that last line from happy gilmore?

30. Dex says:

>@Darbyothrill – I use and recommend the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. If you don't have an nForce board and you know not to install drivers you will be golden. It makes music and games sound a lot better and it off-loads a little stress from your CPU. ASUS now offers a sound card product, but I am unfamiliar with it and can't give it a thumbs up. I am plenty happy with my X-Fi, though.

@John – Stop being so fucking butthurt. It's a good start. At least not everything you said was silly and trivial. KEKEKE

@dominick – Yawn.

@Brandon – I'm just not a huge fan of Kingwin. If I were building a badass gaming rig, I would choose a power supply that I thought to be of higher quality. I didn't realize we were aiming for a middle of the road, kinda good gaming PC. I must have been misled by the title of the article. I still prefer CoolerMaster or Antec/Corsair (or anyone that has a unit made by Seasonic, including their own). At least that PSU has multiple 12v rails. Now maybe you should explain why multiple 12v rails is better than a single rail. =)

31. chad1312 says:

>@Dex That post further proves how fucking retarted you are. This rig is no where near a mid range gaming PC. And you should probably just leave, everyone likes John and is hating you. And the point of your post is that you said "If I were building a badass gaming rig" No one gives a fuck about your opinion.

32. SuperGauntlet says:

>Really? Because I built one for 400 that can run it just fine on low. I know I'm missing out on some of the visuals, but I'm still playing the game. It stays right around 60 FPS normally, drops when theres a shit ton of smoke/explosions.

33. vol1tion says:

>@chad1312 and everyone else:

Keep the comments civil. There are rarely black-and-white, right-or-wrong answers when it comes to picking parts for your PC. Everyone has an opinion, and I ask that you respect that or leave.

essindees

JohnJohn

Dicks and butts. Title: Internet Famous About: John loves all things FPS games. John hates all things thumbsticks.

View essindees's posts