Battlestations

Published on July 6th, 2012 | by Brandon

Bro Cave: @HeyTharBigMoma

This week’s bro cave comes to us from Rory a.k.a. HeyTharBigMoma, who hails from the U.K. Rory’s got a nice minimalist setup, complete with tasteful art prints on the back wall and that gorgeous white 600T case that looks like something straight out of Aperture Science. Though I can’t help but wonder, where is he hiding his keyboard and mouse…?

Hey guys, my name is Rory, but my screen name almost everywhere is HeyTharBigMoma (a surprisingly successful chat-up line a friend used in the past). This is the culmination of 18 years of gaming that started with the original grey Game Boy, progressed through all the many variations of consoles, and finally finished with my eyes being opened up to the joys of PC gaming.

I have spent the last couple of months researching and price-checking all my parts and grabbing bargains wherever I can get them. I have read almost every article and watched every video on building and cable management so I can start as I mean to continue. I’m not sure how good a job I have done, but it can be touched up when I’m finally done gorging on BF3 on Ultra. :)

PC specs:
Case: Corsair 600T White
Mobo: Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Ram: Corsair XMS3 8GB Memory Kit
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 920
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce Edition
PSU: Corsair 650W
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: External WD Passport 1TB and a crappy Samsung 120GB for Fraps and downloads
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Headset: Astro A40s and mixamp

Tags: , , ,

13 Responses to Bro Cave: @HeyTharBigMoma

1. t3haxle says:

What do you think of the kuhler?

• HeyTharBigMoma says:

Really awesome man. I never get above 40°C when gaming and sit at 29 when idle. May upgrade the fans in the future but we’ll have to see.

2. HeyTharBigMoma says:

Haha the.mouse and keyboard are under the deal on one of those slide out shelves. Will be updating the desk to a more spacious one when I move rooms.

3. murdergames says:

i have heard mixed reviews on the rat series of mice how is the rat 7 according to grip and adjustment. Also would you say its worth 80 or so quid it sells for? nice build though power supply’s a bit weak but other than that awesome build.

• HeyTharBigMoma says:

I like it but I can see how it would get mixed reviews. Takes a bit of playing around to get the right balance of weights/pinkie rests/adjustment of the moveable parts. Maybe try someone’s out if you know someone with one?

4. TheDillsterr says:

I don’t know what your i5 is clocked at but my cpu runs those temperatures and I have a $25 air cooler. Of course, I have a non overclocked phenom II 1055t so if you’re overclocked(the article didn’t say if you were or not) then those temperatures are quite good.

Anyway, you have a really beautiful build and I love your case. The cable management isn’t the neatest I’ve ever seen but that’s not because of your cable management skills; it’s just due to your set-up having some excess cables that couldn’t be hidden no matter what you do.

You seem to be a corsair enthusiast like myself so if my prediction is true then you are definitely a friend of mine.

• HeyTharBigMoma says:

Yeah I do like the Corsair stuff but only as a result of recommendations and prior knowledge of their parts. Never had a problem with their memory or cases but we’ll see how the PSU holds out. Will definitely be stress testing the cooler to see what I can get it to do. No OC yet man, I’ll get a few weeks of gaming out of it first before i bork something lol.

5. TheBadamanCJ says:

How much did this cost you? We get ripped off pretty badly in the UK so I’m interested what prices you managed to get.

• HeyTharBigMoma says:

I’m not sure if I was ripped off but I searched for a looong time to get as low a price as I could manage. All told I think I spent around £1200. That’s with a few big spends like the 670 and the 600T. Mobo was pretty expensive too if I remember. :/

6. Wheelzz says:

Great setup. I wouldn’t say the PSU is weak, its a 80+ Bronze, Semi modular 650W that can safely power 2x 670/680s and a OC CPU! I would have went with a HX750 but TX650M is still great.

7. Nice R.A.T. 7 mouse, I wonder what Scott thinks of it.

8. Y2Ken says:

Who needs a keyboard and mouse when you can play all your PC games with that sweet new silver Xbox 360 Controller with the rotating d-pad? :p

Nice setup man. =)

• HeyTharBigMoma says:

Lol there’s a 360 under the desk to stop me kicking the wall lol. Nah j/k I still play console with friends who don’t have PCs and it’s a good break from RL stress to play with them. :)

vol1tion

BrandonBrandon

Brandon started his PC gaming days playing Doom II (IDDQD/IDKFA for life) and has been hooked on online gaming since the original Starsiege: Tribes. The way to his heart is through proper grammar, corn dogs, and cookie cake.

View vol1tion's posts