Build Guides no image

Published on May 16th, 2011 | by John

Budget Build of the Month, May 2011

It’s that time, bros. You want to own noobs with the big shots. You want to build a gaming rig capable of housing the most demanding games at decent settings, but you’re on a budget. (and build it yourself. It’s easy. Watch videos, bros.) That’s where I come in. Randomly I will be posting a solid mid-high end rig that will allow you to play the games you want, for cheap. I will be using the USA-based website Newegg for components. This weeks build will be featuring the AMD x6 series CPU and an XFX 6870 GPU. Let’s do this.

Images below courtesy of www.newegg.com
————————————————————————————————–

Case: 59.95
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

Hard Drive: 39.99
Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB

Disk Drive: 20.99
Samsung SH-222AB DL DVD-R/RW

Motherboard: 94.99
GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3

Processor: 159.99
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz

RAM: 40.99
CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

Video Card: 192.99
XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB

$689.88 after mail-in rebates.

Welcome to good deal city town. Population you.

-John

>John this is such a fantastic idea this blog, I want your babies

8. Cole says:

>John this is such a fantastic idea this blog, I want your babies

9. Cole says:

>John this is such a fantastic idea this blog, I want your babies

10. dominick says:

>This case is MUCH better for the same price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

11. dominick says:

12. dominick says:

13. essinDEES says:

>The HAF comes with one fan in the front of the case. No exhaust. No top fans. Nothing. The description lies. As such, it's not a better price. Also the antec 300 has excellent airflow. I used one for 3 years. I know what I'm doing, k?

14. essinDEES says:

15. essinDEES says:

16. Anthony says:

>Hey is static a risk when building a PC? My apartment is all carpet except for the small kitchen :/

17. Anthony says:

18. Anthony says:

19. essinDEES says:

>I have an HAF now. I had to buy all of my fans seperately as it only came with a front fan for the HDD. Trust in me as I trust in you, babe. ;)

Also, 140mm fan is almost a necessity. Actually, it is a necessity. If you don't have a 140mm fan, you're doing it wrong.

20. essinDEES says:

21. essinDEES says:

22. Cole says:

>John I was wondering if you could take a look at a computer my uncle made for me, I haven't made any purchases, he seems to know what hes doing but a second opinion is always nice :D

23. Cole says:

24. Cole says:

25. tehgiingerhd says:

>Hey how do you "BUY" Windows 7, and whens next YAGB?

26. tehgiingerhd says:

>Hey how do you "BUY" Windows 7, and whens next YAGB?

27. tehgiingerhd says:

>Hey how do you "BUY" Windows 7, and whens next YAGB?

28. Bluefist says:

>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 This seems to be a better CPU for less. While it's only 4 cores, I think we won't need 6 cores for a while.

29. Bluefist says:

30. Bluefist says:

31. dominick says:

>well my HAF 912 came with all the fans, dont know what happened with yours. Cooler Masters build quality has always been better than antec from my experience

32. dominick says:

33. dominick says:

34. essinDEES says:

>no 140mm fan = no case please. Also, the HAFs side panel (even with a fan on it) actually raises the temps internally. That's a design flaw. A big one.

35. essinDEES says:

36. essinDEES says:

37. essinDEES says:

>@Bluefist 6 cores will be very useful within the next… 6 months. BF3 will use 6 cores, and all forms of media encoding utilize 6 cores. The x6 is better than any x4 from AMD. #fact :)

38. essinDEES says:

39. essinDEES says:

40. Robert says:

>Would this be capable of running Battlefield 3?

41. Robert says:

>Would this be capable of running Battlefield 3?

42. Robert says:

>Would this be capable of running Battlefield 3?

43. dominick says:

>to each their own i suppose. The one antec i owned just seemed flimsy and cheap.

44. dominick says:

45. dominick says:

46. bpost says:

>@Anthony – static is a concern, though probably not as severe as most people make it out to be. You can buy anti-static wristbands to use while assembling your PC if you're nervous: http://bit.ly/j4gFVm – They're normally included with a "Computer Tool Kit" much like NipNops.
    With each successive PC build I've become less and less careful and settle for staying in one place (usually a standing desk) and touching metal every so often.

47. bpost says:

48. bpost says:

49. Jonathan says:

>It's not worth getting an X6 for gaming. Regardless of whether or not future games will use all the cores, SB still outperforms all of the X6s; the X4 955 is a better deal.

Also 2 x 2GB for RAM. And swap out the Barracuda for a Spinpoint F3.

But other than that everything's good.

50. Jonathan says:

Also 2 x 2GB for RAM. And swap out the Barracuda for a Spinpoint F3.

But other than that everything's good.

51. Jonathan says:

Also 2 x 2GB for RAM. And swap out the Barracuda for a Spinpoint F3.

But other than that everything's good.

52. John says:

>Jonathan, budgets. CHEAP. I an going for CHEAP and capable. If you were to get a sandy bridge, you spend more. If you get a spinpoint, you spend more. This is for people that have no money, not people that know what they are doing. Mother of God you people are absurd

53. John says:

54. John says:

55. Jonathan says:

>Exactly; if you want to get the most out of your money, then X6s aren't worth it. Either stick to a 955 or spend the extra on an i5 2500k which is actually worth it.

With the money saved from dropping down to a 955 you could go for a 6950, which will have a lot more impact in gaming than two extra cores.

Also the Spinpoint F3 is like $3 more.

56. Jonathan says:

Also the Spinpoint F3 is like $3 more.

57. Jonathan says:

Also the Spinpoint F3 is like $3 more.

58. john says:

>When you understand the purpose of a budget PC, please come talk. 2500k is not a budget part. That's an extra 75 bucks on top of this CPU. Also, a 6870 isn't an ideal card for a CPU of that magnitude. I'd recomment a 6950 minimum, otherwise you're wasting processing power. 2x2GB of RAM of a high caliber costs more. HDD is negligable when building a budget PC. This is well rounded, and much cheaper than anything that I'd recommend for an i5 2500k rig. What do I know, though? I've only been a PC gamer for 15 years.

Budget builds are meant to last longer. x6 > longevity than x4. Good day.

59. john says:

Budget builds are meant to last longer. x6 > longevity than x4. Good day.

60. john says:

Budget builds are meant to last longer. x6 > longevity than x4. Good day.

61. Duffy says:

>Thanks for the advice John :)

62. Duffy says:

>Thanks for the advice John :)

63. Duffy says:

>Thanks for the advice John :)

64. Jonathan says:

>Wow, are you even reading what I'm saying?

The X6s are not well-rounded CPUs. They are equivalent to the X4 955 for gaming. The two extra cores will give you little to no benefit; you're paying extra for something that you do not need.

I just went to Newegg and built a system with the same specs, except with an X4 955 and with the money I saved by not getting an X6, I was able to get 2 x 2GB (for $40 btw) with an HD 6950 and it cost $4 more.

You clearly haven't picked up much in your 15 years if you don't know about dual channel RAM and genuinely think the X6's are good for gaming.

Seriously, get off your high horse and do some research.

65. Jonathan says:

>Wow, are you even reading what I'm saying?

Seriously, get off your high horse and do some research.

66. Jonathan says:

>Wow, are you even reading what I'm saying?

Seriously, get off your high horse and do some research.

67. Jonathan says:

>Here's the build by the way: http://bit.ly/kJxcrm

Also a couple of benchmarks showing the X4 955 outperforming the x6 1055T in games:

Also, X6 does not necessarily mean more longevity. Good day.

68. Jonathan says:

>Here's the build by the way: http://bit.ly/kJxcrm

Also, X6 does not necessarily mean more longevity. Good day.

69. Jonathan says:

>Here's the build by the way: http://bit.ly/kJxcrm

Also, X6 does not necessarily mean more longevity. Good day.

70. LozJones.com says:

>so will this build run everything?

71. LozJones.com says:

>so will this build run everything?

72. LozJones.com says:

>so will this build run everything?

73. imkopZy says:

>Jonathan have you not realized your a complete dick like hes stated that it is a budget build lke 20 times shut the fuck up go make your own website and post your own budget builds if you dont agree the comments are for questions not for Dicks Poeple these days fucking amaze me

74. imkopZy says:

75. imkopZy says:

76. imkopZy says:

>Next Month for the budget build can you do one for an i72600k that would be great :D

77. imkopZy says:

78. imkopZy says:

79. Jonathan says:

>Hey imkopZy, can you fucking read? Clearly not, considering you seem to have missed the part where I explained that the X4 955 is both MORE POWERFUL and CHEAPER, which is important considering this is meant to be a budget build.

Also, a budget build for the i7 2600k? You do realise they cost $315 alone, don't you?

Honestly, it would be nice if anyone here had some sort of an idea of what they were talking about before they just spew out ignorance.

80. Jonathan says:

81. Jonathan says:

82. imkopZy says:

>Like i said if you dont like the build he has up there and you dont think its a budget build go make your own website and do your own budget build of the month the comments are for people with questions not for trolls if you think you know more than him thats good for you but dont be a dick about it

83. imkopZy says:

84. imkopZy says:

85. imkopZy says:

>will this run all games at highest settings or no what would you have to change for it to run all games at highest setting please let me know and do an intel budget build next please :)

86. imkopZy says:

87. imkopZy says:

88. everydaytechhelp says:

>John I love you and your mind…

89. everydaytechhelp says:

>John I love you and your mind…

90. everydaytechhelp says:

>John I love you and your mind…

91. DiabeticWalrus1 says:

>How do you go about "buying" the OS?

92. DiabeticWalrus1 says:

>How do you go about "buying" the OS?

93. DiabeticWalrus1 says:

>How do you go about "buying" the OS?

essindees

JohnJohn

Dicks and butts. Title: Internet Famous About: John loves all things FPS games. John hates all things thumbsticks.

View essindees's posts