Published on March 19th, 2012 | by Brandon

PC Players Get Borderlands 2 Love Letter from Gearbox

Borderlands was a bit of a frustrating mess for the PC player. There were almost no PC features, the FOV was like playing in a tunnel but the game was very, very good. So good in fact, that a lot of us just overlooked the complete lack of PC features and played it anyway. This didn’t stop the PC community from making their dismay known, as well as sharing fixes for the woeful FOV and other issues. However, all of these fixes were unwieldy at best and weren’t really replacements for official options.

It appears Gearbox heard our cries.  They have responded as only Gearbox does, with a hilarious love letter to PC players from Borderlands familiar robot companion, Claptrap. Go read the letter for a great laugh. Besides the humor, the letter details that Borderlands 2 will have almost all the trimmings you could want as a PC player:

• FOV Slider
  • Mouse friendly menus, scrollable, clickable
  • Fully remappable keys
  • PC Specific UI (different from console)
  • PC tailored matchmaking for Multiplayer
  • Push to talk
  • LAN support (with FPS games not even including this lately, what a welcome surprise)
  • Full Steam support
  • Numerous Video options (support for higher resolutions)

It is great to see Gearbox acknowledging the complete console ported mess that was Borderlands.  Hopefully we see a trend starting with developers actually paying attention to our platform. Are you buying Borderlands 2? Does this sway your decision to the PC version?  Let us know in the comments!

Image courtesy Gearbox.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to PC Players Get Borderlands 2 Love Letter from Gearbox

1. Trikay says:

Gearbox; Making a big deal out of features that should have already been expected.

I’m waiting to see if they actually deliver on this. Borderlands was a catastrophe of a port.

• Dan nipnops says:

We should expect these features, I agree, but over the last few years, it has gone the other way, unfortunately.

2. Thompaam says:

That was probably the greatest thing a developer has ever written

3. IllegalDanish says:

Dam i can’t wait, makes me feel even better knowing the PC version is actually getting attention.

4. killerkin103 says:

i probably wont buy this game but damn was it worth reading that letter

5. CharlieTango says:

Hey PC players, remember that time we took your money and fucked you over with one of the worst ports in recent memory? Awesome! Now give us some more money for the shit that should already been in the game. It’s not like we could prove our appreciation for the PC crowd by releasing a patch for free to fix our broken game, right? No, that would be ridiculous. We need to wait until we make another game we can charge you for, then include what should have already been there and call them “features”. Cool beans? Sweet, now we’re going to meet up with Activision for lunch to talk about how else we can inconvenience the most profitable sector of customers in terms of dollars per player. Thanks!

6. Y2Ken says:

Okay this is making me feel more comfortable about getting the PC version too. I own the original on PS3, 360 and PC and the PC version is definitely a pretty shoddy port (though still a damn fun game). One of my absolute favourite games so I will definitely be picking it up on consoles at least but would like to play the PC version if it’s decent. One of the few games I’m prepared to pay over the odds for.

7. Dex says:

If you think Borderlands is the worst port in the last half decade, you must not be playing as many games as you should be.

That aside, this letter is awesome. They have come out and said that they not only realize how annoying things were, but they plan to fix it. Not only just fix it, but go a step further and offer even more. I assume this game will also be on the Unreal engine (which means any true gamer should have been able to make it around all of the settings issues, rather easily) and will simply include the sliders bruing in a config file in the game. I look forward to having these features so close at hand AND the networking improvements.

In an industry that is filled with clones and half-hearted ports, this is good news. Some of the best news I’ve heard in a while for PC gaming, actually.

8. Soma says:

Hold on. Rage comments? Really? I mildly trust Gearbox to make good their promises, but you guys hating on them for leaving out features that we “expect” (which we do) to be in a game. Understandable, but I’m just glad I don’t have to dig out my 360 to play B2 effectively. As this PC build is my first, I want to be on it as much as possible.Since Gearbox cares about a community that is growing (slowly, and they don’t have to care) (We aren’t the big fish in the sea, much as we create the memes that console “gamers” use as their own) I am very exited that Gearbox is giving us stuff. Now, if only the AAA devs can learn something from this. That caring for a [not console] community gets you extreme love with said community. They want us, but because they don’t want our spam emails in the format of “LOL bro moar features fags” (I’ve gotten those about my maps, and blocked all of them.) Fuck you. Spammers. (I’m a very random person, sorry if you don’t understand this.)

vol1tion

BrandonBrandon

Brandon started his PC gaming days playing Doom II (IDDQD/IDKFA for life) and has been hooked on online gaming since the original Starsiege: Tribes. The way to his heart is through proper grammar, corn dogs, and cookie cake.

View vol1tion's posts