Uncategorized no image

Published on October 12th, 2011 | by Brandon

>Bulldozer releases, benchmark results mixed

Well, the good news is that the speculation and wonder ends today: Bulldozer is finally here, and Anandtech has posted its review of the top-end chip, the FX-8150. The bad news is that the FX-8150 isn’t the Sandy Bridge killer we were hoping for.
You should check the link to the full review above for all the gory details, but here’s a quick rundown:
  • By and large, the FX-8150 gets thrashed by Sandy Bridge chips in single-threaded benchmarks.
  • The FX-8150 holds its own in multi-threaded benchmarks, besting the i5-2500K in some cases, but still loses out to the i7-2600K in all but a few tests.
  • The FX-8150 consumes more power than the Sandy Bridge chips at idle and load.
  • The FX-8150 appears to overclock reasonably well. Anandtech was able to get the chip up to a stable 4.6 GHz (from the stock speed of 3.6 GHz) with the stock AMD heatsink.
  • In gaming benchmarks, the FX-8150 is bested by Sandy Bridge chips in every test. Furthermore, the FX-8150 appears to offer only marginal improvement over AMD’s previous top chip, the Phenom II X6 1100T.
Based on these benchmarks, I’d say Bulldozer looks fairly disappointing, especially for those of you with Phenom II X4/X6 chips. For gaming in particular, Bulldozer just doesn’t raise the bar at all.
Once we learned of Bulldozer’s aggressive pricing, I began to worry that AMD resorted to competing solely on price because they couldn’t match Sandy Bridge’s performance. These early benchmarks confirm that, from a performance standpoint, it looks like Intel will still dominate the market for the foreseeable future.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to >Bulldozer releases, benchmark results mixed

1. RoryGreen says:

>It's a shame we didn't see some crazy results but I didn't really expect to see Bulldozer thrash Sandy Bridge. Still a decent set of budget chips though.

2. ChodeNation says:

>Not surprised one bit. AMD can't compete with Intel.

3. XFX Omar122 says:

>As JC Denton would say in this situation"What a shame"

4. vol1tion says:

>@RoryGreen:

Given that the FX-8150 is slightly more expensive than a 2500K, I wouldn't say this particular chip represents a very good budget buy. :/

5. geirbiscohn says:

>Looks like I'll just go with a 2600k then… I would have needed a new motherboard anyway, so really it is only a slightly more expensive upgrade.

6. Wheelzz says:

>Damn, I just built my first gaming PC with a x4 955, a 6870 and a $160 am3+ mobo. I love it but, if I would of known this I would have spent the extra to get a 2500K. I plan to update by GPU(probably with a 570 or second 6870) and my CPU by sometime after Christmas so should I go with 1100t or a bulldozer?

7. dominick says:

>once ivy bridge hits, amd is gonna be in some serious doo doo. I expect the 8150 to be under $200 very soon

8. yoeddyj says:

>Looks like i might be going intel next time around

9. vol1tion says:

>@Wheelzz:

IMO, keep your 955 for now and just save up for an Ivy Bridge motherboard/CPU (which should release in the second half of 2012).

10. Evan says:

>@vol1tion By your comment, it sounds like you aren't aware that Ivy Bridge will work w/ socket 1155 motherboards (P67/H67/Z68 obviously). I'd wait for a bit to see what new motherboards come along and what additions/changes they make to them though.

11. John says:

>No.. @wheelzz has a 955 which is socket AM3. He would need a new motherboard.

12. Dex says:

>I expect them to release new chips and for them to get better. I'm not shocked at the results. AMD has really taken a back seat since the introduction of the Core series from Intel. Before that, AMD dominated, mostly due their amazing 64 bit chips.

Depending on price and availability this line of chips might be okay. Just remember that the AMD chips out now are way better than what they originally released.

13. Evan says:

>@John some 955 mobo's are compatible with Bulldozer, they just have to have proper heat or power provider pins (I forget which). Although it'd easily be worth it to upgrade.

14. vol1tion says:

>@Dex:

At current pricing, the FX-8150 is slightly more expensive than a 2500K, so I don't even see this chip as a good value buy. :/

vol1tion

BrandonBrandon

Brandon started his PC gaming days playing Doom II (IDDQD/IDKFA for life) and has been hooked on online gaming since the original Starsiege: Tribes. The way to his heart is through proper grammar, corn dogs, and cookie cake.

View vol1tion's posts