Battlestations

Published on July 27th, 2012 | by Bob

Bro Cave: @Sassysassquatch

This week, we wanted to include a submission from one of our younger readers, Simon a.k.a. @Sassysassquatch. At 14 years old, Simon has joined the full ranks of PC elitism after purchasing and assembling the exact Starter build we recommended in our May PC Build Guide. We’re humbled to see that some of you trust us enough to invest in our collective opinions!

Hey KBMOD, this is Simon, and this is my first bro cave and gaming build. I’m a 14-year-old boy going into 9th grade in Orlando, Florida. I’ve been a big fan of the site for a while and have laughed through all 52 podcasts.

I got into PC gaming when I heard John talk about how superior it was to consoles back on YAGB. I’ve been PC gaming for about a year now, and even on my old HP laptop, I have enjoyed PC gaming ten times more than my previous console gaming life.

When KBMOD put out the beastly build guides, I had to buy one. I bought May’s Starter build and have been extremely impressed with the gaming performance, especially in Team Fortress 2 and Blacklight: Retribution.

This build is very solid for my gaming needs. The only upgrades I’d want for the near future are a better monitor and extra fans (because it’s usually 90 degrees in my bedroom). Thanks for reading bros, and I hope to play with you all soon.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K (overclocked to 4.2GHz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master 500W ATX12V
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Displays: Sony Bravia 720p HDTV & Acer monitor (1440×900)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard: A good and old keyboard that I found in my Grandma’s garage
Headset: Turtle Beach PX21
Speakers: Logitech speakers

29 Responses to Bro Cave: @Sassysassquatch

1. TheMrK says:

I chuckled a little while reading this. You described my same story of Getting into pc gaming word for word, right down to listening to jon on YAGB.The only difference in our stories is that im 15 going into 11th grade up here in Canada. :D

• Sassysassquatch says:

That’s awesome man. It’s nice to know that there is other people who PC game around my age and who started the same way. It’s crazy, the amount of people John inspired and brought to PC.

• munkyadrian says:

AGAIN ditto here except im 16 and going into 11th and live near philly
      my current pc is kinda worthless right now though, it cost $1600 back in 09, but is worth maybe like $300 new right now

2. Rannara says:

woot! Another 14 year old bro on the site! Sweet PC, enjoy it!

3. mrcanadianaviator says:

That is Awesome. I am 14 aswell and saving up to get my first gaming pc. I have a PC but it isn’t the best. I Enjoy PC over console. Havent touched one in about 9 months.

• Sassysassquatch says:

That’s great dude. I hope you enjoy yours when you get it, it took me a long time to get mine but it was definitely worth the wait. :)

4. AsianHopz says:

That is my exact same story.

5. TheOneHalf says:

Well I must say it’s nicely done :) and thats an awesome little machine you got there ^^ Shame the case doesnt allow for better cable management ^^ But heh it’s a nice build non the less :)

Anyway welcome to the relm of pc gaming :D

• Sassysassquatch says:

Thanks man, and the cable management doesn’t really bother me, so the case works great for me. And thanks for the welcome :)

• Wheelzz says:

The case has great cable management, one of the best in its size/price range. Just takes some time to get right.

6. Y2Ken says:

Very nice man, great build especially for someone as young as yourself. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it, and here’s to the future of PC gaming!

7. MrBop says:

Damn.. Wish i had that kind of money when i was 14… 17 right now and looking for a job so i can make my first build.

• Sassysassquatch says:

I was lucky enough to have my Mom get a bonus and my Dad throw money at me every couple months, because it would of taken my way long to get a decent build on my own. So good luck to you man, they make some extraordinary build guides on kbmod.com when you do have to money to build.

8. Deluxxe says:

Nice build bro! Impressive first build :)

9. Sir_Jerkalot says:

I wish i had a build guide when I built my first pc. :(

• Sassysassquatch says:

Yeah, I was lucky enough to know about KBMOD.com, Kbmod has been a total blessing, especially for PC builds.

10. Wheelzz says:

Great looking build dude, I have the same case! I am 16, from ontario and I got a summer job this year so I plan to upgrade from my X4 955 @3.8ghz, 8GB GSKILL RIPJAWS, GTX 570 to 3770K, 16GB RAM (adding another 2 sticks of Ripjaws), GTX 670 FTW and a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD!

11. RemagCP says:

*Reads the comments on this post
    *Realizes %75 of the community can’t legally buy most the games featured on KBMoD

12. Karda says:

I was considering doing this exact same build, but I ran in to some… monetary issues. I am in the same exact position as you, going in to 9th. I ended up picking up a desktop on clearance at a Sam’s Club (It was the shelf model). I got it for half the price and beats the crap out of my old laptop. I am just amazed games like TF2 can run smoothly so I don’t have to watch a slideshow every time I play. (DayZ is especially bad)

bpost

BobBob

One of the founding fathers of KBMOD, and an unfortunate casualty of real life responsibilities. An IT professional by trade, and an elitist by choice.

View bpost's posts