Featured no image

Published on November 1st, 2012 | by Brandon

Quick Look: Windows 8 with Classic Shell

Windows 8 has been a contentious topic in tech circles. Influential PC gaming minds like Gabe Newell and Markus “Notch” Persson hate it, but Microsoft clearly seems to think their flagship operating system is headed in the right direction. With all the discussion around Windows 8, many of you are probably wondering if it’s worth upgrading from Windows 7. Well, our own Jon a.k.a. Hexidecimal is here with a quick look at some of Windows 8’s new features, along with a short run through a useful utility called Classic Shell.

Are you upgrading to Windows 8, or are you holding off for now? Let us know in the comments!

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Brandon

Brandon started his PC gaming days playing Doom II (IDDQD/IDKFA for life) and has been hooked on online gaming since the original Starsiege: Tribes. The way to his heart is through proper grammar, corn dogs, and cookie cake.

8 Responses to Quick Look: Windows 8 with Classic Shell

1. Nib50005 says:

I tried the Customer preview of windows 8, when i found out that i couldn’t run Halo 1 or CE, I uninstalled and when back to 7. Also why is there no dvd playback support out of the box, what the fuck Microsoft.

2. poopbacknforth says:

Good overview, so can we get a video tutorial on how to grow a righteous beard?

3. Thompaam says:

I probably won’t get it for a while since I’ve heard from Razethew0rld that they had to code their own drivers for graphics cards, I want that support from the start.

4. Wheelzz says:

I may upgrade in a while but right now I can’t justify the $100-150 when my Windows 7 works great and I don’t really have the extra money.

5. Respect says:

Like Jon said , its not essential and that’s how I look at it. Nothing is really groundbreaking just a new layout, its not like the jump from xp to win 7. I see no need, good review though.!

6. R3DBARON says:

this just seems like something i neither want nor have to deal with, it might not be the death of the pc as an open platform like gabe newell says, but to be honest, windows 7 works great and if it doesnt provide a huge jump in performance, then there’s really no incentive for me to switch.

7. Typhlosions says:

nice overview of windows 8. I personally will wait until Microsoft comes out with Service Pack 1 for Windows 8 before i install it, but I’m probably going to test it out in VMware before I do decide whether or not I want to buy it.