Business no image

Published on December 31st, 2011 | by Dan

The Most Pirated PC Games of 2011

Here at KBMOD we have a strong anti-piracy stance when it comes to games, so this list was interesting.  The statistics for this were pulled off of the largest torrent sites statistics and there are a few surprises (numbers courtesy of Torrentfreak).

1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000) (March 2011)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3(3,650,000) (Nov. 2011)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000) (Oct. 2011)
4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000) (Sept. 2011)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000) (April 2011)

Crysis 2 topping this list comes as no surprise.  The game was pulled from Steam , making it less desirable for a lot of people and Origin had some hiccups upon launch (including the EULA fiasco).  EA lost some good faith with the Steam rift and this may have also put some people off.

Coming in second and third are actually two surprises. Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 are of course best played online.  Both require a digital service to play the multiplayer and are best experienced this way.  Both had universally maligned single player campaigns. This means pirating these games essentially got you a bad single player experience and no multiplayer (other than jumping through a ton of hoops).  Not sure why you’d even pirate these games.

FIFA 12 coming in at #4 isn’t surprising as sports games were something that was prevalent in the torrent world back when I was in college with no money.  Why pay for essentially the same game each year?

At #5 is another surprise:  the company that brings so much good faith to PC gamers, Valve, with Portal 2.  Valve has stated time and time again that they don’t care about piracy and it really doesn’t effect their sales.  3.2 million copies of Portal 2 might have cracked their bottom line a bit, but I’d guess they more than made up for it in legitimate sales.  They also tend to put their products on sale quickly (and did so with Portal 2) so I’m not sure why it was so widely pirated beyond it being such a large release.

So there you have it.  The most pirated PC games of 2011.  Once again, we strongly suggest buying games legitimately.  It helps everyone, and most of all it helps combat one of the biggest stereotypes of PC gaming.

Have a happy New Year!

Tags: , , , ,

10 Responses to The Most Pirated PC Games of 2011

1. RossGeddes says:

Around half of those were Razer i7.

2. Syrex says:

I pirate shitty games that I would never buy, I would much rather just buy the really popular games and get the full experience rather than having whatever limitations the pirated version might have. I also want to give companies the money they deserve for making a good game. I’ll pirate a game to try it, and if I like it, I’ll buy it. Also who plays FIFA on PC? I can’t imagine that being good because sports games on PC are usually shitty.

3. DamnedNiggar says:

>1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000)
    they don’t deserve number 1, i have the game on origin and it only pays off because of the crysis 2 sandbox editor. BF3 should have been the winner among pirates(even though its short and the soundtrack sucks, the story was quite good)
    also syrex i pretty much do the same, but i know alot of people who bought FIFA for the PC too.

4. TagsWithScope says:

Best method is do what John does, pirate it to see if it’s good and then if it is buy it

5. krunch says:

you have to be the worlds biggest dick to pirate portal 2

6. Janzzze says:

i would not buy mw3 but i could justifying pirating it even tho i disprove of pirating games.
    software, music and films i dont have a problem pirating.
    also i alot of people pirate first then buy.

7. I hate pirating games but shit like FIFA is just like blah why pay $60 for the same shit just like modern warfare 2.5.
    But never the less, who the fuck pirates portal 2 i know valve doesn’t care but come on support the developers so they can keep making good content.
    Sigh! people disappoint me.

8. Stefan says:

fuck it , i pirated dead space 2 and portal 2 i already own these games for the xbox im not going to pay twice for them.
    i know , you must be asking “but … consololololol?”.
    and my awnser to that is ,yes but i bought them before i got a sweet pc

9. michaelmalott says:

The triple A titles are always gonna be at the head of this list. Some people who otherwise wouldnt be interested in a particular game besides the fact that its the next “must have” game probably want to see what the hype is about. That’s my theory anyways. Especially considering that all of those games put up impressive sales numbers. I once heard (from I where I can’t remember) that piracy actually helps drive sales in many instances. From looking at the top 5, this list would help support that claim.

I put the OO in Swagoo.

One of the founders of KBMOD. I stream on Twitch as well as writing and editing for the website.