Featured no image

Published on November 1st, 2012 | by Brandon

Quick Look: Windows 8 with Classic Shell

Windows 8 has been a contentious topic in tech circles. Influential PC gaming minds like Gabe Newell and Markus “Notch” Persson hate it, but Microsoft clearly seems to think their flagship operating system is headed in the right direction. With all the discussion around Windows 8, many of you are probably wondering if it’s worth upgrading from Windows 7. Well, our own Jon a.k.a. Hexidecimal is here with a quick look at some of Windows 8’s new features, along with a short run through a useful utility called Classic Shell.

Are you upgrading to Windows 8, or are you holding off for now? Let us know in the comments!

Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to Quick Look: Windows 8 with Classic Shell

1. Typhlosions says:

nice overview of windows 8. I personally will wait until Microsoft comes out with Service Pack 1 for Windows 8 before i install it, but I’m probably going to test it out in VMware before I do decide whether or not I want to buy it.

2. R3DBARON says:

this just seems like something i neither want nor have to deal with, it might not be the death of the pc as an open platform like gabe newell says, but to be honest, windows 7 works great and if it doesnt provide a huge jump in performance, then there’s really no incentive for me to switch.

3. Respect says:

Like Jon said , its not essential and that’s how I look at it. Nothing is really groundbreaking just a new layout, its not like the jump from xp to win 7. I see no need, good review though.!

4. Wheelzz says:

I may upgrade in a while but right now I can’t justify the $100-150 when my Windows 7 works great and I don’t really have the extra money.

5. Thompaam says:

I probably won’t get it for a while since I’ve heard from Razethew0rld that they had to code their own drivers for graphics cards, I want that support from the start.

6. poopbacknforth says:

Good overview, so can we get a video tutorial on how to grow a righteous beard?

7. Nib50005 says:

I tried the Customer preview of windows 8, when i found out that i couldn’t run Halo 1 or CE, I uninstalled and when back to 7. Also why is there no dvd playback support out of the box, what the fuck Microsoft.

vol1tion

BrandonBrandon

Brandon started his PC gaming days playing Doom II (IDDQD/IDKFA for life) and has been hooked on online gaming since the original Starsiege: Tribes. The way to his heart is through proper grammar, corn dogs, and cookie cake.

View vol1tion's posts

• Latest PC Build Guide

PC Build Guide – May 2018

Welcome to the May 2018 version of our PC build guides. We have implemented price targets ($800, $1400, $2000) on ourselves and have had to make trade-offs with each build. Your personal budget will likely be flexible, but we hope this article will give you …:: Read More »
  • Podcast Archive